The Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA) recently did a poll amongst gun owners regarding their perception of law enforcement.
The poll is still in process, but the results as of a few days ago are as follows:
1. As a legal firearms owner, who are you more afraid of? Police or Criminals?
Police – 63.9%
Criminals – 36.1%
2. Since the implementation of the Firearms Act, do you still trust Canada’s police?
Yes – 25.7%
No – 74.3%
3. Do you believe the Police Associations represent their member’s views regarding firearms issues?
Yes – 5.5%
No – 94.5%
4. Do you believe the Police Associations are misrepresenting the facts regarding Canada’s long gun registry?
Yes – 96.7%
No – 3.3%
5. Do you believe Police Associations should be involved in the creation of laws?
Yes – 12.1%
No – 87.9%
6. Do you believe Police target firearms owners?
Yes – 83.3%
No – 16.7%
7. Do you personally know someone unjustly charged with a firearms offense?
Yes – 46.3%
No – 53.7%
Granted, the majority of the people answering this poll are probably those who are more active in the firearm community and have a deeper understanding of the issues. Regardless, the figures are staggering.
Now maybe the police don’t give a rat’s hind end whether they are mistrusted or not, but it seems to me that it is a sad state of affairs when a core group of citizens have been alienated to that extent.