The internet has been buzzing since the publication of the e-mail files that were hacked from the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in Britain. However the interest in them doesn’t seem to have spilled over to the MSM.
ABC, CBS and NBC’s collective silence on “ClimateGate” has reached ridiculous levels as the broadcast networks continued to ignore the great and growing scandal. The bias by omission has now become scandalous.
“The networks’ silence on ClimateGate is deafening. Scandal, cover-ups and conspiracy are the bread and butter of the media. Yet they have selectively and deliberately decided not to report this bombshell – or any of the incriminating details surrounding the scandal – because it goes against their left-wing agenda,” Media Research Center President and NewsBusters Publisher Brent Bozell complained in a statement released today.
Phil Jones announced yesterday that he is temporarily leaving his post as head of the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit (CRU) pending the investigation into the controversial e-mails and documents that started ClimateGate.
Yet none of the broadcast network weekday morning and evening news shows addressed ClimateGate or the incriminating Jones development since the news broke yesterday. This marked 12 days since the information was first uncovered that they have ignored this global scandal.
Another site pointed out similar concerns.
With the AP busy fact-checking Sarah Palin’s book and much of the rest of the media busy trying to trip her up at her book signings, a huge story seems to have passed them by: ClimateGate.However, as Noel Shepard at Newsbusters pointed out earlier this week that several days after the scandalous news broke, neither ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, nor NBC had bothered to cover a huge story that is becoming bigger by the moment. He also notes that NPR seemed to be a part of the blackout. Here are some of the stories they did deem important within those few days:
- ABC’s “World News with Charles Gibson” Friday did a very lengthy piece about Oprah Winfrey ending her syndicated daytime talk show
- ABC’s “World News with Charles Gibson” Monday did a lengthy piece on new revelations involving the marital affair of Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.)
- CBS “Evening News” Saturday reported a ten-year-old pianist playing at Carnegie Hall
- CBS “Evening News” Sunday did lengthy pieces on the website FreeCreditReport.com not being free and the movie “New Moon”
- CBS “Evening News” Monday did lengthy pieces about defective drywall and a man who makes money wearing t-shirts
- NBC “Nightly News” Friday reported on Switzerland’s supercollider being turned back on
- NBC “Nightly News” Saturday did a somewhat lengthy report on food carts
- NBC “Nightly News” Sunday reported the release of British singer Susan Boyle’s CD, and then followed it up with another report Monday on her promoting it.More “big news” as of this writing was about the couple who managed to crash the White House state dinner on Tuesday night, as well as the annual Black Friday shopping crush.
And of course there was the very important Tiger Woods car accident story that the world awaited with breathless anticipation. They did note that Fox was on the story, but of course the MSM doesn’t consider Fox to be a legitimate news network.
An amusing (and enlightening) video of interviews with some major environmental organization spokespersons on this issue can be seen at Pajamas TV. The interpretation of these interviews could be called ‘total denial’.
This is definitely going to put a crimp in the ‘science is settled’ position of the global warming crowd and is certainly going to inject new life into the global warming sceptics.
But what is even more damaging is what this type of scandal does to the scientific community. Scientists are supposed to look at facts and once that is done, look at more facts. And if the data doesn’t support their initial conclusions then the conclusions need to me adjusted. That is why I have never understood the ‘science is settled’ argument by proponents of global warming. Real science is never settled.
But this looks to be a bunch of people calling themselves scientists who have predetermined a solution and then have fudged the data to ‘prove’ that conclusion. This is not science based on facts and their honest presentation. This is science driven by an agenda.
How can we believe anything they say from this point on.